Getting Ready to Post an Ad on Facebook
Before actually placing an advertisement on Facebook, or on any other platform, there are certain steps you need to take to get ready first. If you jump the gun and place the ad without preparing properly, you will likely overlook an essential step or two and end up costing you more than necessary due to traffic”wasted” on an ad with a broken link or an incomplete funnel.
If you are not sure what a “broken link” or “funnel” is, then you probably need to get a basic understanding of how users interact with computers, how they move from one web page to another, and a basic understanding of internet marketing.
Here’s the short version in normal people’s English:
A web page is what you are reading on your screen at any given moment.
A link is the place on the web page where you click with your mouse or touch with your finger to move to another web page, or another place on the same web page.
A broken link is where the place you click that should take you to another webpage, does not work the way it is supposed to. It either does nothing…and you stay where you are. Or you end up on the wrong page…or you get an error message of some kind.
Getting Ready to Get Ready
There are a few piece of software that you will need access to before you can get ready to post ads anywhere. These are what it takes to set up internet marketing and should be factored in to your budget from Day 1.
At the Bare Minimum, you MUST have the following:
- Something to Sell. Most people starting out find it is easier to sell other people’s products rather than having to deal with delivering a product or service in addition to marketing. A good place to start is as an affiliate for vendor who has a good reputable product with a good track record and who will be around long enough to pay out the promised commissions. You need your affiliate link for the offer you want to sell. See the download at the bottom of the page for the link to the one that has the best payout, and very handsome commissions, great support team, and training and coaching to get you on your way.
- Link Tracking. If you are using advertising, you need to be tracking it to see if it is working. There are lots of books written about how to be a successful marketer and they all say you MUST track your marketing efforts so you will know what works and what does not work. That way, you can stop what is not working and scale up what is working. To do that, you must have a way to track which link your prospects are clicking on and how far into the funnel they go, if they do not follow all the way through to the purchase, so you can tweak what does not seem to work so well. See the download at the bottom of the page for the one I recommend after trying many others.
Now, like I said, that is the BARE Minimum. If that is all you do, there is a very slim, and highly unlikely, chance of success as an internet marketer.
If You Want to Succeed
Under the assumption that you want to be successful and actually make money from your endeavor, let me tell you a few more tools that will greatly boost your likelihood of success. The following tools are necessary:
- Your own website, domain name and hosting, to use for hosting your own landing pages so you do not depend on someone else keeping the site up and running and for hosting your own media, e.g. images, downloads, videos, etc. I have found one that is very reasonably priced and allows you to add unlimited subdomains at no additional charge. See the free download at the bottom of the page for details.
- Autoresponder. This is a service that provides the software to automatically send emails that you create to the people who sign up to your email list. There are half a dozen decent ones to choose from. In the free download that the bottom of this page, I provide names and links to the one that I keep coming back to.
- Landing Page Creator. This is software that allows you to build your own landing page (also known as a squeeze page or opt-in page). This is the page where your prospect fills out their email address (at the least) and hits the button in exchange for something, e.g. a free download, to watch a video, to read the rest of the story, etc. There is a wide price range of landing page builder software/services. I found one that is a reasonable one-time purchase for lifetime access and includes all upgrades. Details are included in the free download at the bottom of the page.
- Image manipulation software. If you already have Photoshop or some other image editing software, you are set with this one. But if you do not already have it, I have great news. There is an excellent one that is perfectly FREE and adequately meets the needs of most internet marketers. I use it nearly every time I am on my computer to resize, crop, flip, and/or rotate images to my liking for use in blogs, ads, slideshows, PowerPoint presentation, Facebook, etc. The link to this free website is in the free download below.
That’s it! Once you have those six pieces in place, you are ready – to get ready to post an ad.
In my next blog, we will go through the steps for actually preparing to place the ad. Until then, you can “read ahead” by downloading the free report below: ”
Preparing and Placing Ads”